- February 16, 2020 at 7:03 am #236279
I have some suggestions to dramatically improve the ‘look & feel’ of the homepoage featured content.
Please take a look at the image here then you will be able to visualise what I am speaking of.
1. Please add the ability to create ‘sections’ on the homepage featured content.
2. Please allow a Section Header Title to be added to each section.
3. Please allow the font colour, weigth and Font Size of the section header title to be chosen.
4. Please allow a <HR/> under the section title & please allow color and line-height (thickness) and widht across the page (ie. 50% or 200px) control of this element.
5. Please allow control of the margins / padding (top and bottom) for the Section Header Title, the <HR/> and the space bewteen these elements and the section grid of images so that we whave finite control of the layout in pixels.
6. Please allow to choose the order of the sections by numbering them 1, 2, 3, etc so that they display top to bottom on the homepage in that order – or use a similar system to the WP-MENU layout to move sections around. (each section ‘could’ be a widget).
7. Please allow to choose which featured items from featured-content are featured within each section and the ORDER in which they displayed within the section. ie. specify the name of the section they will appear in and numbe them sequentially (or again use a widgetised approach like the menus).
8. Please allow to sepcify how many columns in a section as right now it appears there is only 3. The featured images should automatically scale to accomodate. Of course this should be fluid for devices.February 17, 2020 at 12:12 am #236332
@raystclair: Hello Ray,
1. Can you please explain what you mean by ability to create ‘sections’ on homepage featured content?
2. You can add section title to each section. For featured content
Go to => Appearance => Customize => Theme Options => Featured Content => For CPT heading and sub-heading, go here
3.4.5. For these issues I can provided you the additional CSS code. Please let me know what changes you would like to be made.
6. The Section Sorter option which is a feature to reorder the section on your site is only available in pro version of the theme. I suggest you to upgrade to pro. You can check out the additional-features available in pro version of the theme.
7. Can you please explain this issue? I wasn’t able to get you.
8. The Layout option using which you can choose the no of columns is only available in pro version of the theme.
Let me know if this helps you out!
SkandhaFebruary 17, 2020 at 4:45 am #236368
this is what I am trying to achieve.
I don’t understand how to use the CPT headers thing and cant find any documentation on it.February 17, 2020 at 4:46 am #236369
So I am trying to add section headers of
Each with an underline as shown.
And I need to control padding, height, margin on all elementsFebruary 18, 2020 at 6:15 am #236513
Hi – any response as to how I can achieve what I am looking to do in the image … also how to use the CPT heading thing as I dont how to set that up nor can I find any instruction
ThxFebruary 18, 2020 at 6:31 am #236514February 18, 2020 at 8:32 am #236518
NO not really … I still havent had it explained to me how to use the CPT heading thing. You originally said I could do it using this.
And it seems what you’re suggesgting above is PRO only feature.February 18, 2020 at 8:35 am #236519
Also your response doesn’t show me or expain to me how to use those shortcodes on the HOME page.February 18, 2020 at 10:32 am #236536
I finally managed to achieve the things I was looking to do by HARD CODING it into the theme.
I find the support you offer is at best unhelpful and extremely slow to respond. I won’t be buying amything of yours until the level of interest and the level of support improves dramatically.February 19, 2020 at 5:52 am #236631
@raystclair: Hello Ray,
I suggest you not to edit core themes directly because all your edits will be lost when you update the theme. Please create a child theme before editing core theme files.
[featured_content display_types=true display_tags=false include_type=grooming-tips,best-kitties columns=2 showposts=10 orderby=title]
This is an example of Featured Content Short codes using which you can achieve the kind of different sections you want. You will need to place the short code on a page and select that page as your Static Homepage.
I can set it up for you if you would like to
Let me know what you would like to do.
SkandhaFebruary 19, 2020 at 4:46 pm #236672
I tried creating a Child in the normal way but when I did that WP wanted me to install the parent theme even though Bold Photography was installed. I make backups at every stage.February 19, 2020 at 4:46 pm #236673
Perhaps you could create a child theme and send it to me so I can try it.February 20, 2020 at 4:14 am #236745
@raystclair: Hello Ray,
You can use our Generate Child Theme Plugin to create a child theme.
Install and Activate the plugin
Go to => Dashboard => Generate Child Theme => Select Parent Theme as Bold Photography and fill in remaining fields and Click on Generate.
The child theme should now be created and activated.
Let me know if this works out!
SkandhaFebruary 22, 2020 at 11:23 am #236958
No – that plugin completely runied my site …
This is my site with the main theme …
This is my site with new child theme generated by this plugin …
All I did was install the plugin, fill the fields and press enter. It created the child and the child theme hasn’t retained ANYTHING of how I set up the site.
Not only that the child theme didn’t carry across any of the customm CSS I have in the Customiser.
Fortunately I backed up everything including the DB before installing it because I thought somnething like this might happen.
I think you need to do a lot more work on this plugin before you give it to people because you may end destroying hours of work that users have put in because they aren’t coders or developers like me.
You should bundle a pre-created child theme with the download so that people can work with the child theme right out of the gate.February 22, 2020 at 11:25 am #236959
Nope – didn’t work – the child theme completely destroyed all the layouts and custom css I’ve added.February 23, 2020 at 11:55 pm #237053
@raystclair: Hello Ray,
You will need to make all the changes you made to the parent theme to the child theme because the changes you have made to the parent theme will be lost when update the theme.
The child theme doesn’t retain your customizer settings. You will need to use Catch Import Export. You will need to import your customizer settings from parent theme to the child theme.
This is the first step after you create a child theme. After this you can customize the site to the way you want.
The child theme doesn’t affect your parent theme. After you activate the parent you will get you site back to how it was looking.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.